But WHY do the behaviors change?

Moderator: agner

EternalPropagation

But WHY do the behaviors change?

Post by EternalPropagation » Sun 2018-12-02 6:54:06

Is there a section of the book that provides a cause for this behavioral change from Kungic to Regal?

My current understanding is that there actually is no change in behavior, just a change in the way behavior emerges based on the environment. That underlying behavior is cost/benefit risk analysis. In cases of outside threats, tolerating in-group threats incur a lower cost than defying marshal orders would incur. In simple terms: I'd rather die by my brother's hand, than a stranger's. I pay a smaller price in the former case, than in the later one.

I just don't see how your "theory" increases my understanding of human behavior. You're merely describing surface-level phenomena without describing the mechanism that emerges into said phenomena.
Vojm1BR.png
investment-driven behavior
Vojm1BR.png (60.35 KiB) Viewed 38378 times

agner
Site Admin

Re: But WHY do the behaviors change?

Post by agner » Sun 2018-12-02 7:13:52

Let me explain the mechanism of change from kungic to regal. The psychological preferences of people are changing in response to the level of war or anticipated war or some other perceived collective danger. People will prefer a strong leader and a strict discipline. They will be more likely to support a charismatic leader who says that he can solve all the problems. This psychological response mechanism evolved in primeval times, but you can see it at work even today when people support populist politicians as a response to the perceived threat of, for example, terrorism, mass immigration, or economic crisis.

EternalPropagation

Post by EternalPropagation » Sun 2018-12-02 12:51:34

None of that is a mechanism. You're just showing that when A, X, and when B, Y. When I drop an apple, it falls. I don't learn anything about gravity from that statement. I only learn that something happens.

agner
Site Admin

Post by agner » Sun 2018-12-02 13:36:48

When people see a snake, they get afraid. That's a psychological response that has evolved because our ancestors were harmed by poisonous snakes many thousand years ago. But what is the mechanism? We don't know much about how psychological responses work. If I understand your question right, you are asking me to tell how nerves and synapses are wired and how the signalling molecules work. I don't think any psychological response can be explained at such a fundamental level. I can explain how the regal response has likely evolved, but not how it works inside the individual human.

EternalPropagation

Post by EternalPropagation » Tue 2018-12-04 2:19:20

Your "theory" isn't able to determine when the snake switches from being a threat to being a food.

agner
Site Admin

Post by agner » Tue 2018-12-04 5:45:15

EternalPropagation wrote:
Your "theory" isn't able to determine when the snake switches from being a threat to being a food.
It has always been both. People are afraid of snakes and people eat snakes.

I still don't think I understand your question. Are you asking about the evolutionary mechanism or the internal psychological mechanism in the individual? I will recommend that you read some evolutionary psychology.